Public Enquiries

Got a Question? 

Go to the Questions and Answers page.

Why Would You Contact Survey and Spatial New Zealand?

Our members are surveying and spatial professionals - they deal with location-based information, mapping and data and precise measurement.

Spatial specialists deal with a wide range of fields and use geographic information systems (GIS) to turn geographic data into maps, tables and other kinds of information needed to make informed decisions.

Surveyors provide accurate, precise and up-to-date information pertaining to location, boundaries, topography and legal descriptions of land. They work with land owners, property developers and their advisors – lawyers, real estate agents, architects, landscape architects, engineers and planners. You need a surveyor If you:

  • want to subdivide land
  • check property ownership and rights
  • need precise levelling
  • require land development engineering
  • want a boundary re-defined
  • need a hydrographic surveyor
  • need spatial information, data and mapping.

Licensed Cadastral Surveyors

Licensed cadastral surveyors have a particular expertise in the area of cadastral surveying - an area of surveying that is related to land ownership and property boundaries. Only a Licensed Cadastral Surveyor is qualified to certify the legal plans necessary to define property boundaries for the issue of new titles.

Registered Professional Surveyors (RPSurv)

These members have attained a particular certification that ensures they are up to date with legislative, business, market and technological changes. Registered Professional Surveyors can ensure that your surveying project will be carried out according to the rigorous standards set by S+SNZ.

In addition to having a four-year Bachelor of Surveying degree or similar, they must have passed S+SNZ professional exams in spatial management and at a least three other survey related disciplines and show competency in those disciplines for two to three years. As well as an additional three years of experience, the RPSurv holder must continue to complete Continuing Professional Development to maintain an up-to-date knowledge base and a high standard of work and conduct.

Unprofessional conduct

How to make a complaint

S+SNZ members must follow a Code of Ethics and maintain certain standards of professional behaviour. If the work carried out by a surveyor does not meet your expectations, the first step should be to contact the surveyor and discuss your situation to try to clear up any misunderstandings or apparent shortcomings. Other options are available depending on the nature of your complaint.

Written complaints relating to unprofessional conduct and ethics of S+SNZ members should be addressed to Survey and Spatial New Zealand National Office. The complaint should be accompanied by any relevant supporting documents. Forward to:

CEO,Survey and Spatial NZ, PO Box 5304, Lambton Quay, Wellington 6145.

What happens next

The complaint is referred to a special Ethics Committee of the S+SNZ Council. Once received, a written explanation will be sought from the S+SNZ member who is being complained about. They have 20 working days in which to lodge the explanation. Once this is received, the Complaints Sub-Committee will conduct a preliminary investigation to determine whether the complaint has been substantiated.

If the complaint is found to be substantive a recommendation may be made to S+SNZ Council that a formal reprimand be issued or an enquiry held. If the member is found to be guilty of malpractice, improper or unprofessional conduct, or is in the opinion of Council, guilty of a breaching any of the Membership Rules a range of penalties may be imposed including suspension of the member from privileges of membership or a fine not exceeding $25,000.

Professional misconduct by a Licensed Cadastral Surveyor

How to make a complaint

Complaints about the professional misconduct of Licensed Cadastral Surveyors should be made to the Cadastral Surveyors Licensing Board of New Zealand (CSLB).

Fee disputes

S+SNZ does not get involved in fee disputes. We suggest that you contact the surveyor directly or use the Small Claims Court, Disputes Tribunal or other informal processes.